Tiviot Dale Tunnel

Tiviot Dale Tunnel

Formerly a vital part of the North’s freight network shouldering much of the burden delivered via Woodhead, the Cheshire Lines Committee opened its route around the south side of Manchester in 1865.

To the west of Tiviot Dale Station, the line passed through two short tunnels lined in red brick, the first of them sharing the station’s name.

In September 1980, during construction of the adjacent M63 (now M60), contractors caused damage to the tunnel. The line was closed temporarily but never reopened. Officially closed in 1984, track lifting took place in 1986.

The tunnel is now largely infilled except for a 75-yard central section in which a series of supporting girders has been installed. A church is built on Dodge Hill, above the bore.

Click here for more of Arnie’s pictures.

August 2013