Keighley Goods Tunnel

Keighley Goods Tunnel

On 1st April 1884, the Great Northern Railway opened its goods depot in Keighley, at the northern end of an extension to the line from Thornton which had welcomed its railway six years earlier.

To pass under Parkwood Street (a name which was often used as an alias), a cut-and-cover tunnel of 118 yards was dug. With stone walls and a vaulted brick roof, it continued to carry trains until closure came on 17th July 1961.

The northern portal is now buried but the bricked-up southern end awaits visitors at the end of an isolated cutting.

Click here for more of Phill’s pictures.

April 2011