Cullen Viaduct

Cullen Viaduct

The Great North of Scotland Railway opened its through line along the Moray coast in April 1886, connecting Portsoy with Elgin. The central section included a number of significant structures including the impressive Cullen Viaduct which looks out to sea over the rooftops of Seatown.

The Grade B listed structure is formed of bullfaced rubble with eight rusticated ashlar arch rings and brick soffits. Work on it started in 1884 under the auspices of engineer P M Barnett. It was necessitated by the Seafield Estate’s refusal to allow the railway to encroach onto its land further south near Cullen House.

Further east are three more structures – a single span over steps connecting North Deskford Street with the main road, a four-arch viaduct across North Castle Street and another four-arched bridge, with separate accommodate for those on foot, at the bottom of Seafield Street. All these structures were built for a single track.

The line closed on 6th May 1968 but the parts of the line have since been reopened as part of the Moray Firth Trail.

December 2009